Routine dental care is essential to maintaining your pet’s oral health. At MarketPlace Veterinary Hospital, we recommend a dental exam once a year to keep your pet's teeth and gums clean and help prevent the onset of periodontal disease.
Did you know that your cat or dog’s oral hygiene is an important indicator of their overall health? Bad breath, loose teeth, and swollen gums are signs that all is not well within your beloved pet’s mouth. Oral issues can significantly impact your pet's health. Periodontal disease is especially problematic, and can destroy your pet’s teeth, gum tissue, and bone structures if left untreated. Keep in mind that pets are also very good at hiding pain, so it can be hard to tell if they are experiencing tooth/gum problems. Please call us if you notice any of the following:
- Fractured or broken teeth—This could be due to an accidental bump or fall or biting on something too hard. If left untreated, bacteria can spread into the tooth socket and affect the gums and bone.
- Red or bleeding gums—Swelling and inflammation in the gums can be a symptom of infection and/or periodontal disease.
- Eating or chewing problems—If your pet is only chewing on one side of the mouth, it could be a sign of serious pain.
MarketPlace Veterinary Hospital offers advanced dental care services:
- Comprehensive dental exams—We use digital dental x-rays to get an enhanced view of the oral cavity and examine above and below the gum line for any signs of infection or disease.
- Cleaning to remove plaque and tartar from each tooth.
- Tooth polishing to create a surface that is more resistant to plaque formation.
In order to provide a thorough dental cleaning and oral review, your pet will be anesthetized during the procedure. Anesthesia is strongly recommended by the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA®) and the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA®). Using anesthesia allows our doctors to perform the dental examination without causing your pet any pain or discomfort. We provide pre-anesthetic bloodwork and take every precaution to keep your pet safe before, during, and after the dental exam. MarketPlace Veterinary Hospital also performs tooth extractions and oral surgery as necessary.
To book an appointment or learn more about our pet dental services, please call us today.