There’s an often overlooked aspect of our pet’s health that can drastically impact their overall well-being: their dental care. As pet parents, we’re diligent about their diet, exercise, and routine check-ups, but the significance of oral health sometimes slips through the cracks.
MarketPlace Veterinary Hospital knows the stakes are high when it comes to pet oral hygiene. Let’s take a closer look at pet oral health with this comprehensive pet dental care guide.
Understanding the Basics: Why Dental Care Matters
Your cat or dog’s oral hygiene isn’t just about fresh breath or clean teeth; it’s a vital indicator of their overall health. Imagine ignoring your own dental health. Painful, right? Now, consider that pets are masters at concealing their discomfort. Just because they aren’t yowling or whimpering doesn’t mean they’re pain-free.
Periodontal disease stands out as a primary concern. This condition can wreak havoc on your pet’s teeth, gum tissue, and underlying bone structures. If left unchecked, what starts as a minor oral issue can become a significant health challenge.
Key Indicators of Dental Distress
Pets can’t tell us when they’re hurting, so we have to be observant. Here are a few signs that might indicate dental issues:
- Fractured or broken teeth: This isn’t just about cosmetic appeal. A broken tooth can become a gateway for harmful bacteria. Such issues often arise from accidents or chomping on complex objects.
- Red or bleeding gums: If you’ve noticed your pet’s gums looking more crimson than pink, it’s time to pay attention. It’s a telltale sign of inflammation, often indicating infection or the early stages of periodontal disease.
- Eating or chewing difficulties: Is Fido only munching on the left side? Or has Whiskers become uninterested in her favorite crunchy treats? These could be indicators of oral discomfort.
Comprehensive Dental Care at MarketPlace Veterinary Hospital
Our dedication to pet oral health goes beyond general advice. We offer a suite of advanced dental care practices, ensuring your pet’s mouth remains in top-notch condition.
- Comprehensive Dental Exams: Our team can spot any potential issues above and below the gum line using state-of-the-art digital dental X-rays.
- Thorough Cleaning: Our professionals meticulously remove plaque and tartar from each tooth, ensuring a pristine oral environment.
- Tooth Polishing: We polish the teeth post-cleaning, providing an extra layer of protection against plaque.
Your pet’s safety is the top priority during these procedures. We use anesthesia during dental exams to keep your pet pain-free, as endorsed by the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA®) and the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA®). Our team conducts pre-anesthetic bloodwork and uses the utmost care, ensuring safety throughout the procedure.
Dental Care Tips for Pet Parents
We’re all about helping pet parents get savvy with dental care essentials! Here are some quick tips to keep those furry smiles shining:
- Regular Check-ups: Why wait for signs of trouble? Regular dental check-ups are your pet’s first line of defense.
- Home Brushing: Home brushing can help ward off bacteria that could eventually cause issues for you and your pet.
- Quality Dental Chews: Think of them as treats with benefits! They’re tasty and promote dental health.
Worried about your pet’s pearly whites? Don’t wait. Schedule a consultation online or give our office a call today. Please contact us at (916) 939-1705 to schedule a dental visit. Let’s work together for your pet’s brightest and healthiest smile!